RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training
Old 12-22-2002, 04:26 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training

There are quite a few quirks in this question. I had seen the letter Horrace got from Carl before. That is pretty cut and dry. P-51B tossed in a twist that I have no idea about. I wrote to Carl and asked for either an answer or for him to post one.

Jim Branaum, the way I posed the question in the poll was for the training between two AMA members. That implies that the student has obtained an AMA membership and has insurance in place, as does the instructor. It seems to me, that if both have paid for an AMA membership that the AMA has gained a member. I don't understand why the fact that compensation is part of the deal that it would negate the insurance. It has been assumed that money was passing hands. Compensation could just as well be a plane sold at the LHS with the training being part of the purchase, or the training taking place with the building of a model for a student. All are compensation. I have a hard time seeing where another fee for insurance that is already been paid should be imposed, as Horrace suggested. Jim, again, you threw in a twist I had not thought about. I am not aware of any club with commercial instruction where free instruction is not also available.

The attitude that training should be free is heavily supported and probably the reason that the EC has taken no action on this issue. It is interesting to see the thread develop and the different twists on the subject. The feelings of the particular club also have to come into play. A club has the right to set it's own rules. Some clubs are involved in the Intro Program and others are not. Some have club trainers, other have no requirement to be an instructor.

JR