RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training
Old 12-22-2002, 04:50 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training

J_R:

My two cents: If a person is gainfully employed as a flight instructor insurance is part of HIS cost of business. And should not be part of my cost of flying.

But there is a grey area here, because of the words "Gainfully employed." How do we define this? If the instructor has to drive x miles out of his way to do the instruction, has to supply this or that for the session, or any other out-of-pocket expenses, I see no reason for him not to be paid back by the student, and I do not consider this to be gainful employment. Even a small honorarium for his time, while I don't think it should be done, can't be considered gainful employment.

However. If someone advertises as a flight instructor, whether in print ads, on local radio/TV, or even by word of mouth, he is then at least attempting to do it for profit and he should indeed be responsible for his own liability coverage.

Summarization:

As a once in a while thing, paid for expenses only, and possibly a tip for service, OK, leave insurance with the AMA, and don't tell the AMA about any compensation to the instructor.

If you have a member who is making a habit of being "Tipped" for tutorial assistance, kick him out of your club if he doesn't stop after being warned, and tell the AMA.

And yes, we do have a lot of "Professional" modelers, with their sponsors, but they are to be envied, not castigated. And don't forget most of our suppliers are modelers also, if we kick them out and they leave the field, we are all in trouble.

So let's apply some common sense, and only kick the sleeping dog when we need them moved.

Can twin flying be pure, if the teacher uses AMA to insure?

Bill.