RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training
Old 12-23-2002, 04:57 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should AMA Insurance Cover Commercial Training

Originally posted by Bill Lee

O.k., here's more information.

I asked JR originally for his source and he pointed me at the EC minutes. Since I was at that meeting and did NOT recall any "discussion", I asked Dave Brown for some clarification. Here is his response:

"I remember mentioning the possibility of a reduction to $1m, and discussing it in a very periphery way. It is a very real alternative, if we have to do a self funded program. In that case, I really cannot see any way to fund a $2.5m program. I believe it is in this context that the minutes read."

I asked Sandy about the same thing, and he remembered as I did: "What discussion?".

Based on Dave Brown's comment: yes, the issue was "discussed", sufficiently to make the minutes, but there was little actual discussion. more of a statement by Dave.

OTOH, insurance IS a big concern right now, and a reduction to something that we can afford IS a real possibility. (IMHO)

Bill
Bill

Apparently, some on the EC paid closer attention Dave's comment than others. Now that you know what I found out. What other consequences do you or others foresee IF a lowering of insurance levels is necessary? How can claims be cut? I know this is still in the thinking stages, but input here might be helpful if something positive is developed.

Bill, what level will the captive be funded at initially, if necessary? What amount would be necessary to maintain the current level of coverage?

What do you believe the effects of having a competitor out there with higher limits on insurance will be? What is your guess as to the effect on future number of members the AMA will have?

JR