RCU Forums - View Single Post - Set Ups for 3D Buddies
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Okay.......I got it in a couple of days ago. And I was really surprised to see everything bubble wrapped inside the box. The last thing I read about the packaging was that it came wrapped in a foam sheeting. Obviously URC changed this somewhere along the line due to allot of shipping damages. Oh well.....doesn't matter 'cause everything was in "one piece" without any damage. But I gotta admit that for a $70 ARF, this plane really looks great! The color scheme is very cool and virtually wrinkle free.

There was a bit of a warp in the fuse though. I'm still undecided if it was just not built straight or if this is due to it sitting in a box for who knows how long since it was built and in differing temp changes. The reason I'm wondering about it being built straight is because I don't see any T-pin holes ANYWHERE on ANYTHING where it was laid out on a building surface. Usually, you can see at least one or two pin holes in the wood somewhere after ya build it. And I couldn't get all of the warp out of it either. I laid it down flat on both sides and massaged it with an iron using glass building blocks as weights. I also used my heat gun, which incidently, the covering will not take concentrated heat for very long - it's not like MonoKote or Ultra Cote. So - after burning a hole in one place I was very leary using the heat gun or using it very long to help get out the warp. So - mine has this ever so slight warp - or actually a "twist" at the aft end. But being a profile, it shouldn't affect it to bad when flying and I'll most likely not have any problem because of it.

I'm pretty impressed with the building technique on the fuse. It's quite unique (in the RC world) and from a structural view point it is a good idea. The outside perimeter of the top and bottom forms a T-beam instead of the usual square stock pieces. It saves about 1/16" of wood top and bottom which results in a lighter structure and the T shape is structurally sound. Actually, if you consider the T at the top and the T at the bottom, then as a whole you have an I shape which short of a hollow round pipe or square pipe shape is ideal because it will handle some pretty heavy forces. And when you add in the interlocking diagonal bracing - it just doesn't get any better than this because it's structurally sound in the vertical and horizontal planes and is very light.

Now here's the kicker: after I assembled the plane and without any gear installed, the plane weight is 6.25 ounces. Normally, once the plane only weight is determined I can add in about 10 oz. with my Himax 2015 motor set up and 12 oz. if I intend to use my Himax 2025 motor set up and this gives me a good ball park AUW estimate. This has been observed after building tons of planes. So, I'm sitting here wondering - WHO EVER SAID THIS PLANE WOULD HAVE AN ALL UP FLYING WEIGHT OF 11 - 12 OUNCES IS FULL OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But even still, I proceed to install the gear. I decided to first try the Himax 2015 motor set up primarily because of its lighter weight. So everything is installed and I pull out my digital scale with eager anticipation of "being wrong" about my AUW estimate previously predicted. Well shucks and wazoo - 16.25 ounces - right on the money! Was I ever dissapointed......[&o]. Not to be outdone, I asked myself - okay - which prop am I gonna mount up front? So......I pull out my 12x6 SF prop thinking - for this wieght I need all the airflow I can get. Yes - it gives me the pull I think I'll need but it is probably pulling tons of amps.........so I change to a 11x4.7 which gives me a little less thrust but with less amps. I really need to get a watt meter! So - the maided will be flown with the 11x4.7 first and if I don't get the result I want I'll slap the 12x6 on this puppy. And if that fails, I'll mount the Himax 2025 on it and then be forced to upgrade to a 20C batt. But geeeeeeeeezus - that'll put the AUW at about 18 or so ounces!!!!!

Oh well! I'm an optimus by nature so I know that with the 305 sq. inches of wing area (although I haven't actually checked this calculation) that with the first set up @ 16.25 ounces that the wing loading is still not shabby at 7.7 oz./sq. ft. and by going to a heavier set up the loading goes up to about 8.6 oz./sq. ft. So all is not lost! But then, I haven't had a chance to put this plane in the air yet either and you can do all the math in the world but until you fly the darn thing - ya just never know!

So part of me is happy that I got a fairly "cheap" ARF that is well constructed and it sure is "purty". Even the wife says it is a good lookin' little plane! It (like most profiles) was very easy to assemble without any real issues. I didn't use the instructions so I can't really comment on how well or how poor they are but there are allot of pictures! The laser cut control horns worked out really well and were designed by someone that actually knew what they were doing. Comment: I've seen a ton of so called laser cut control horns that I've asked myself - what freekin' idiot had this brain fart? !!!

The down side - and keep in mind that I haven't had the chance to put this plane in the air - is that I'm very disgruntled that the advertised AUW is so far off that it's not even funny. This is in part why I quit buying ARF's a long time ago - because it's like the proverbial "life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get" - and I hate surprises. I understand that the manufacturers are in the business of selling BUT all I ask is that if they advertise things to be a certain way then it should be THAT way. This experience has only reinforced my skepticism about the honesty of ALL advertised specs that I read about the many different planes on the market. It's been my experience that what they say and what you get are typically two different animals.

To sum up my overall impressions of the 3D Buddy Edge - so far I'm fairly well pleased but the jury is still out until I get to fly it. Once I have a chance to fly this plane, I will definitely post my 2 going on 3 cents!