RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever filed a claim with the AMA?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 01:13 AM
TheSollyLama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amazing

It amazes me that people are deluded into actually believing they NEED 2 mil worth of coverage for a hobby, but don't carry near that for the other 95% of thier lives. Is it just gulliblility?
Does anyone out there have 2 mil worth of coverage on your car? Even though you spend a heck of alot more time in it then flying a model? Even though it weighs a couple tons and thousands die every year because of them? That you're FAR more likely to die in a car than by R/C anything? No, of course not.
Now tell me I need the AMA to make me pay for 2 mil and that I somehow NEED that just to fart around with a balsa wood model in a field.
Reality check, folks.
And hey, here's a novel idea (except that most every other group has figured it out) injury waivers for spectators. Hey, you choose to go where little wooden missiles are zipping about and you shouldn't be able to sue if one gets stuffed in your ear. Every motocross track I've ever been to made the riders sign waivers, and some even made spectators. You assume the risk for placing yourself where harm may come to you. Read the back of a hockey ticket sometime.
Course of Action:
1. limit claims to begin with by adopting waivers.
2. negotiate a sensible amount of insurance coverage for members.
That will dramatically cut the outlay for member insurance.
It makes no sense to carry a couple million in coverage as a secondary with a couple hundred thousand as a primary. Worse, since that secondary is only useful for flying model planes in specific locations. It's not bloody likely to ever be useful. But the primary, however is for your entire life and MUCH more likely to see activity.