RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever filed a claim with the AMA?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 04:08 PM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever filed a claim with the AMA?

Dream Evil,

You make a very good point. In my view, increasing the coverage to $2MM only paints a bigger liability target on our collective chests. As a general rule, juries will award large sums when it is to be paid by a faceless corporation (insurance co.), but would not take from an individual such sums (greater than a coverage limit of say $1MM).

So now we have this warm and fuzzy feeling that we have all this coverage. Large awards are being paid out. The personal injury legal 'fraternity' can see that we are a target that can be beat. A few more high awards come through and our great and wise ones in Muncie decide that we need more coverage. I think you can see that there is a no-win potential to this spiral in the legal climate of this country.

I speak from personal experience. I have had a good company fold up under me due to the very same scenario. If this continues in our good hobby, I am not concerned, but will be very disappointed. I will just get rid of my big birds, and convert to gliders, flying at the local school yard, without AMA membership. I will be at no significant risk in this pursuit.

Bedford