RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever filed a claim with the AMA?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 04:34 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever filed a claim with the AMA?

Originally posted by beepee
Dream Evil,

You make a very good point. In my view, increasing the coverage to $2MM only paints a bigger liability target on our collective chests. As a general rule, juries will award large sums when it is to be paid by a faceless corporation (insurance co.), but would not take from an individual such sums (greater than a coverage limit of say $1MM).

So now we have this warm and fuzzy feeling that we have all this coverage. Large awards are being paid out. The personal injury legal 'fraternity' can see that we are a target that can be beat. A few more high awards come through and our great and wise ones in Muncie decide that we need more coverage. I think you can see that there is a no-win potential to this spiral in the legal climate of this country.

I speak from personal experience. I have had a good company fold up under me due to the very same scenario. If this continues in our good hobby, I am not concerned, but will be very disappointed. I will just get rid of my big birds, and convert to gliders, flying at the local school yard, without AMA membership. I will be at no significant risk in this pursuit.

Bedford
I have a great deal of sympathy for your concerns. Having said that, let's look at a real claim that took place a couple of years ago. A toddler was playing while dad flew. The club had been erecting a wind sock. The process was not finished. The pole fell on the child, crushing him to death. Now the question.

If it was your kid, how much would you settle for after it was determined that the club did in fact have liability?

JR