RCU Forums - View Single Post - Serious accident in Hungary, two persons killed.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious accident in Hungary, two persons killed.

ORIGINAL: Roby

Crown Vic,

Good point

After reading your post I looked up some stats.

I didn't realize that last year about 50 people were
killed on ATV's in my state. I don't seem to remember
anyone mentioning that in the news. Actually I was quite
surprised about how many people are killed during various
activities and , (as you say) hardly ever get mentioned.

You should see the stats on death due to cell phone use
while driving......and I know that everyone reading this
NEVER does that. Funny , I don't remember hearing about
that on the news either.

Regards
Roby
It was over thirty years ago that we had a full sized DH Chipmunk crash on a local model flying field, killing the occupants. There was more to the story that never surfaced but there was nothing to do with modellers. It made the local newspapers but interest disappeared within a couple of weeks. Full sized aircraft are not toys and are treated differently to models. As indeed are golf, rugby all the way to through car accidents, treated differently. These accidents are somehow acceptable as long as they are perceived as adult pursuits.

! seem to recall that a girl was killed on a local heath about five years ago and that is currently being used as an excuse to ban all model flying in the Borough. I do not know yet if this is an official stance but it has been quoted in official public meetings locally. Model flying is seen by some as anti-social behaviour. Modellers are seen by some as geeky, nerdy, like the idiots who collect aircraft registrations or locomotive numbers but DANGEROUS.

Please bear in mind the degree of risk is seldom accompanied by an accurate perception of probability. It's easier to ban the activity.

old git ----- aka John L.