RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blue Angel - Build
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Blue Angel - Build

Thanks for the comments raindav! I started building my ailerons as part of the airfoil many years ago; because that’s how the Howard Engineering kits were built and I liked the way it looked. I expect it helps the aileron control function a little as well.

The 700 sq in Blue Angel wing without retracts, servos or wing tip blocks is about 21 oz. Although I selected the lightest wood available I think it will come out a little heaver for its size than my usual wings. The Spring Air retracts are 8 oz and have the heavy brass adapter fitting for the strut. The wing should have a total weight without covering of about 33 oz.

Here are some wing weights and total weights of my other aircraft for reference.

Tiporare, 720 sq in, two digital servos, Spring Air retracts, painted center section and MonoKote, 35.5 oz. Total weight 7.78 lbs and is beyond ballistic.

Howard Engineering Kwik Fli III, 640 sq in, one servo, Rom Air retracts, painted center section and MonoKote 35 oz. Total weight 7.42 lbs and is ballistic.

Cold Duck, 650 sq in, one servo, fixed gear, painted center section and MonoKote 29.75 oz. Total weight 5.46 lbs and is ballistic but is almost too light in windy conditions.

Lanier Jester, 630 sq in, one servo, fixed gear, all plastic covering, 37.25 oz. Total weight of 7.37 lbs and flies fine.

The Tiporare wing for its size is one of the lightest I’ve built. If the Blue Angel comes in under 8 lbs I’ll be happy.