RCU Forums - View Single Post - Adding fuel line filters ...
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding fuel line filters ...

I've used filters since back before the Civil Wawah. And I've helped newbies cure engine running problems with filters since then too.

But times have changed. Heck, we even got electricity now, don't most of us!

Fuel used to be 100% castor and cheap castor would create flakes in the fuel. They'd clog your fuel line where it fitted over the needle valve fitting etc etc. But after you started running a filter, almost everyone would find all manner of crud in their filters when they maintenanced them.

So I've continued to use filters.

And sometimes having a filter close to the needle valve would give smoother running. The "resevoir" effect was what did it, or maybe it was that the filter screen broke up bubbles. whatever it was, it sometimes helped.

There is an argument that putting filters in the lines causes failures when the tubing slips off. There are some techniques in our craft that require some learning. I guess sticking a fuel line onto a fitting just might challenge some people. If it does you, then practice it at home before trying it on your model. But nowadays, most fuel filter fittings are sized to hold our modern silicone line very securely..... that is, if you're adept enough to be able to get the tubing over that fitting....

There is also an argument that a filter is going to clog up and your plane will flame out. Jeez..... So there actually is junk that will get to your needle valve and shut down your engine, since the filter mesh is usually about the same opening size as a needle valve. Wouldn't you like to catch that junk as it's accumulating? That's why I use see-through filters. And why I backflush them every so often.

And there is even a somewhat prominent engine mfg that advises you use a filter to kill the bubbles to the engine....

So I use them.

But it does seem to be an issue that some get really passionate about. Kewl.... we oughta be passionate about stuff that means a lot to us.