RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

I've been in RC modeling for 30 years now. Just this past Memorial Day I decided I was going to finally try an electric plane, and the one I chose was the Park Zone Focke Wulf 190. Boy was I amazed at how WELL it flew---after the first attempt at hand launching resulted in a lawn dart. I've successfully launched and flown the FW-190 several times now, with only 2 incidents. More on that later.

I was so impressed with the FW 190 that this past Thursday I went ahead and purchased (like the FW 190 from the same local Hobby shop) the P 51D. BAD mistake. First attempt at the launch and it lawn darted. Second attempt the wind was blowing UP the slight slope at the flying field and I managed to maintain altitude and speed by throwing it downhill which resulted in a much slower flight than the FW 190. Wind changes for rest of day and I can't use the downhill toss, but rather a toss on level ground. Attempt #3 results in lawn dart/belly skip and breaks prop and trashes the battery door. Attempt #4 after changing prop and taping battery door in place results in you got it....lawn dart. Spinner breaks off on this attempt.

Just happened to be several fliers to witness it all. They were quite impressed with the looks. They were NOT impressed with the flying results. Owner of the Hobby shop was out with one of his planes, and I told him in no uncertain terms that "he could tell Horizon Hobby to shove this thing up their (U know what)". So I've boxed it all back up, plan on returning it to the shop tomorrow and let them work it out with Horizon, then they (the Hobby shop) can work out something with me.

Did I mention that out of the box, the trailing edge of the wing along the entire length of the left aileron was split apart? I figured aw nuts and went ahead and bought a replacement wing (another $39 throw away still in the bag)---but after an email to Horizon concerning the wing defect, and a phone call to Horizon concerning the wing defect of which I was told I needed to wait the customary 72 hours for a reply....ok, I see how Horizon works now......I went ahead and spent more $$ on foam compatible CA and accelerant and just fixed the thing myself. I don't know who to compliment for the business model that Horizon works under, but it appears that if you make a defective merchandise warranty claim full of hassles, then maybe your clients will just "suck it up" and keep on accepting the garbage they sell.

But at near $200, the Parkzone P-51D is NO buy. I guess I could spend yet another $80 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery, and another $50 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery charger, but if the plane actually performed as DESIGNED with the NiMh batteries then you wouldn't need to spend the additional $$$ now would you?? Ahhh.....enough on the P-51.

The FW 190 has really been a lot of fun to fly. And with the special MOLDED FINGER GRIPS on the bottom of the wing you can actually hand launch the thing. And the placement of the battery---through the TOP OF THE FUSELAGE and secured with VELCRO at that! Gee, you think Horizon actually LEARNED something from the ill fated P-51D, and actually implemented a few "changes" to make a better product? From what I've seen from Horizon, probably NOT.

But the FW 190 will still on occasion manage to yield a lawn dart toss. And when it does, the first time the electric motor will spin the pinion gear off the shaft. Remove the wing, find the gear and press it back on and you are in business. That is until the second unsuccessful toss when the pinion gear spins off yet again, then NO amount of CA glue will hold the pinion on the shaft. So I guess I'll keep the FW 190, and wait for the hobby shop to order and receive a new motor/pinion shaft for the plane. And I'll give Horizon more of my money. But as for their version of the P-51D.....save your money. It is GARBAGE. And if you DO manage to purchase either the P-51D or the FW 190, I STRONGLY suggest you open the box first and look it over for OBVIOUS manufacturers defects that have little "pass" stickers on them.

Oh--forgot to mention---I'm 6' 4" so I DO have an advantage on initial altitude!