RCU Forums - View Single Post - Set Ups for 3D Buddies
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Keith,

Great minds think alike! I've been doing the very same thing - integrating a built up wing with foam. I use the Blue Cor foam ('cause that's what I keep on hand) on the fuse and the aft surfaces and it works great and helps to keep the (work) weight down. I love to build but hate covering so this just leaves the wing to build and cover - which is a piece of cake.

The last one I built worked out really well and I plan on building another with a few mods. The same thought has crossed my mind in regards to just buying the Buddy Edge wing replacement and making the rest out of foam. I can probably make the wing cheaper but for $35 bucks - it's worth it just to not have to build and cover it. One thing I am really impressed with about the Buddy wing is the way that they have hinged it. That's pretty freekin' cool!

I really like my Buddy Edge even though the weight is a bit annoying and in one sense I feel "violated" if you catch my drift. It flies really well but I know it would fly better if it were lighter. Mine is right on the border line between working okay with my current set up and really needing to go up to the Himax 2025 motor for better thrust to weight. But then by doing so - the weight only increases as well. So - I'm kind of "stuck" between a rock and a hard place. Since weight is the real issue here, I hate piling on more.

So - this gets back to integrating the foam with a built up wing. If I can manage getting the weight down to about 12 ounces (AUW) then I have the Himax 2812 that would be perfect for it. There are other motors out there that would work great with this weight range as well. So the challenge is being able to build it with this target weight. There are several choices of foam available besides the FFF that I'm using and the pink that you're using that may be lighter. Maybe a thinner Depron or even the EPP foam.

Keep us informed with what you come up with on yours.