RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diving on downwind?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diving on downwind?

Tall Paul,
Better read that quote again!
You state EXACTLY the same thing in different words!

ORIGINAL: Tall Paul
???
Adding the wind speed to the airspeed, upwind or downwind, changes the ground speed, but that is totally disconnected from the airplane.
Ground speed is what the pilot sees, but the plane doesn't.
A plane that's trimmed to fly level at 60 mph will fly level at 60 mph in any direction relative to the wind. (unless it can't maintain 60 MPH - Doug)

There's something aerodynamic going on.. the elevator returning to a different position after a commmand is a possible source.
Here is what is happening with the Tamecat:

The engine is not producing as much power as it use to. When the plane is turning (accelerated flight), the engine is not producing enough power to maintain level flight. Therefore, the plane must dive to maintain airspeed. Or, Up elevator must be held in order to maintain altitude until the airspeed has returned to normal.

I will guarantee that if the plane is flown on a day with no wind, that the plane flys slower than it did before this problem came about!.

However, you are right. There is something aerodynamic going on.

The propeller is not producing as much lift/thrust/power as it use too!

By the way, airplanes don't know or think anything. They are not intelligent beings, just man made machines.

I have been flying R/C for 29 years.
Also, I am a full scale mechanic, inspector and pilot. I specialize in troublshooting and performance enhancements.
When a customer brings me an airplane that is not performing as it should, they pay me BIG BUCKS to fix it.
Sometimes, it takes some time to troublshoot. But, I have NEVER been wrong about the cause or the cure!

Would you care to explain how elevator trim could possibly change, only when flying downwind?

Doug