RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bernard Dumas' Canadair CL-215
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 AM
g_boxwood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bernard Dumas' Canadair CL-215

Good morning gentlemen!

My first building thread here on RCU... quite excited [8D] !

I was doing a research both here and on the web about modeled CL-215s and 415s and I came across Bernard Dumas' site: not only it was dedicated to some of the available built and flown RC CL-x15s out there but it also provided free plans for a 1/12ish version!!!

I downloaded the plans, checked the specs of the model

http://bernard.dumas.chez-alice.fr/caracteristiques.htm

and... I liked it! I decided to give it a try and to document it since no one seems to know these plans (plus it isn't an usual modeling subject).

At roughly 86" span the model is big without being -that- big (IOW, a problem... at least for me and/or wife - parents - etc.). Some of the nice features of these plans are:

- fuse is scale-built, with around 50 formers / bulkheads and plenty of room inside; it resemble a Palmer plans structure, without being so complicated (thanks to the square section); light and strong in the end;

- fin and attached stab are removable; they can be swapped between fuses (in case one gets damaged) and ease up transport; be aware that the tail group of this plane is very big (especially the fin and rudder) to improve low speed handling (real thing);

- "it comes" with a construction manual that surely helps here and there

http://bernard.dumas.chez-alice.fr/Atelier1.htm

- plans include drawings for both a fixed and working (pneumatic) main gear: it's up to everyone to push it as far as desired!

I'm about to begin Step 3 now, but I got a lot of pictures I'd like to include to document the building and share some tips /ask for advises.

Hope you'll enjoy the topic as much as I'm enjoying building this model!