RCU Forums - View Single Post - step by step: build your own AA powered plane
Old 06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: step by step: build your own AA powered plane

now for the electronics. get some double sided tape and apply some to the flatside of the RX, the motor mounts, and the lipo. i figure most people havent converted their plane to a puller, so the pics i've taken, and the test flights i've done to get the CG right were with the motors on the Trailing Edge of the wing. it started raining before i got a chance to flip the props and try it with the motors up front, maybe tomarrow.

anyway, since the motors are in the back, it makes it pretty tail heavy. only problem with this is you'll have to put the RX and lipo at the very front of the plane, along with some weight (i used a penny). where you put the motors on the TE of the wing doesnt matter. if you put them close in, it wont turn as sharp, if you put them out further, it'll turn more sharply, but it will also be easier to go into a death spiral. i put mine about 2 inches out from the fuselage. it seemed to turn well enough, but you can put yours where you want to get it to perform the way you want. as i mentioned before, i had to mount the RX and lipo at the very nose of the plane, along with a penny. i would not suggest flying it this way over cement or other hard surfaces as the lipo and RX are completely exposed during a nose-first landing. you could put a peice of balsa in the front to act as a bumper if you wanted, or, add some landing gear (which might take the weight of the penny).

i forgot to measure the location of the CG, but it was close to a half inch from the LE of the wing. try moving the RX or Lipo around to find your own personal "sweet spot" and get it flying the way you want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51895.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	479065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55043.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	479066