RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric 1/4 Scale Tigermoth
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 03:05 PM
normgoyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric 1/4 Scale Tigermoth

Hi, For your info I have many hours in a full scale Tiger Moth and in reality it is a very slow, plodding primary trainer. If I can recall loops in the Moth took a little bit of work. In fact like many low powered trainers were never meant to be looped in primary training. Evasive training, not called aerobatics, were done during basic training. Eventually most military services upgraded their training fleet and combined primary, basic and advanced with the same aircraft. Our military first used PT-17s, BT-13s and then AT-6s then they went direct to the Texans. I am sure the Brits did the same. We used to loop the old Moth by diving with full throttle up to red line and then pulling back on the stick. the loops were not round if I can recall but egg shaped. When the plane reached the top the stick was pulled all the way back and the top of the loops was pretty sharp then when the plane started down the throttle was reduced and recovery was initiated. We used the same technique in looping the lousy PT-22 as well. PT-17s and N3Ns weren't bad but the loops were not big beautiful maneuvers of beauty. I once stalled a Ryan PT-22 on the top of a loop that I tried to make really round and fell inverted for many 1,000s of feet before I could recover. I ripped the wing fabric in several places but got it back on the ground in one piece. I like to power my scale planes as close to the power to weight ratio as possible so the model will not only look like a "Cub" but fly like a Cub. Have fun with your scale but remember to investigate what the real airplane really flew like. I have flown all military trainers up to and including the Texan and T-28. I love them and love scale models. Norm