RCU Forums - View Single Post - *Eletronic Engine Syncronizer *
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 07:58 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer - no joke

Guys,

I spent a good bit of the day today testing and working on this and I ran into a potential minor issue. You can not fast charge a remote glow battery while it is connected to the sync units remote glow driver. (i.e. I smoked one today). Do the typical onboard remote glow units allow fast charging of the single cell nicad/nimh battey while installed? I know what I blew and why but the question is the following:

The unit could be damaged by connecting a peak charger to the on board glow driver without disconnecting it from the sync. So my options are the following:

1. Spec this as a warning and deal with and return/warranty issues from people who don't read (I would probably fall into this class myself)
2. Delay release and redesign to handle a peak charger on the remote glow battery while connected to the sync.
3. Delay release and redesign with a built in charger for the glow driver battery
4. Eliminate remote glow from the first production release units - I hate this option but it sounds like a pain for the user and me (tech support if people kill units trying to charge onboard glow batteries while connected.

The problem is peak chargers put out a lot of voltage to get their target current. These high voltages are tough on new semiconductors that run on very low voltages and currents. So not that there was a problem with the unit but just this is a use case that could cause problems for me and users.

YL5295....