RCU Forums - View Single Post - SO... WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 AM
capn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SO... WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?

Started out young mowing neighborhood lawns for my money and continued to do that for several years on the side, regardless of my
'real' jobs at the time. Began working for my father's construction company at 13, but when I first started
it was more like "hey dad, here's that saw you wanted me to fetch." Eventually learned how to be autonomous in the construction field and worked
with dad every summer for 8 years or so building houses and remodeling. Learned lots of stuff that continues to save me loads of $ to this day--more
money for the planes! Worked for a commercial carpet cleaning company for about 10 months while going to college, which made me realize how important
it was to stay in college and not clean carpets for a living. Of course, knowing what I wanted to do (design cars) since I was 7 made it a lot easier to stay focused
on the goals. Went to school in Detroit and worked in the maintenance department while there to help pay for some of the costs. Finished design school and started working in a small product design firm developing small consumer products like printers and some larger stuff like lawn furniture. Got another job designing cameras for Kodak along with a bunch of other small products. That job didn't pay much, so I got a second job cutting frames and matts at a picture frame shop. Then I decided to go to work for General Motors and take a break from the 'sketch on paper' type of designing and start designing using the computer to build 3D parts. Worked on a lot of the interior parts (dashboards, doors, etc.) for many of the new GM cars and trucks, including the H3, the new Tahoe/Yukon, Caddy's, etc. Then I decided to leave and take a job with Nissan. So now that is how I make my money--helping design cars and trucks for Nissan.
I really like my job a lot, but I would still rather be flying my planes!