RCU Forums - View Single Post - FM or PCM Whats the diff
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM
dynoflux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight Modes

I am glad to see most of the misinformation early in this thread was later corrected. PPM and PCM are both digital from transmitter to servo. PCM sends packets of information including a checksum bit that can be checked for validity on the receiving end where as PPM send a continious signal of repeating digital pulse width information. The packet idea is not new as it has been used in computer communications for many--many years. The analog part is in the control sticks and sliders of your transmitter which is only as good as the pots in the transmitter. There are digital encoders that could replace the pots; however, the cost is at least 20X that of the pots. PPM and PCM both have advantages and disadvantages; the design of the receiver RF section is the more important factor for signal integrity. I use both PPM and PCM and the biggest drawback to PCM is the packet scheme is propriatory (remember VHS verses Batamax.) Most of the advantages of PCM could be had with PPM if manufactures were so inclined. As long is there is no STANDARD and PCM has compatibility problems between not only different manufactures but many are not back wards compatible with their own radios I vote for PPM receivers with good front end false signal rejection. I am using a Futaba 12Z and love the bells and whistles I get with the G3 receiver but would be happier if it was PPM compatible. The technology is every where; don't let the adds fool you; the proprietary nature of PCM is not for your benefit there are public domain data formats that may even be better for data packet tranfer. Companies have tried this marketing scheme before and it is always good for a few and bad for many. Any body have to throw away a really expensive Sony VCR because it was Batamax format.