RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just got The World Models Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got The World Models Spitfire

I would guess that the World Models Spitfire is a mark fourteen (MKXIV). It has the larger and more pointed fin etc and the cut down fuselage with the bubble canopy, the blue and white stripes are possibly from the Eastern theatre ( I cant remember exactly as I know that South East Asia Command SEAC later had just one white stripe but I have seen it somewhere). It is not a perfect rendition but is closer than it is to the earlier marks.I love World Models planes and was very happy when I saw it was coming out but I am not too keen on the look at first sight. I will have to see it close up first I think.
By the way, when Ginger Lacey,one of Britains top aces (mainly in Hurricanes) was a squadron leader in that theatre he was sent the new mkXIVs as replacements for his squadron, most of his men liked them for the increased (especially rearward) visibility. Ginger said "thats not a bloody Spitfire" and made them replace them with models with the standard turtledeck fuselage and canopy as the mkXIV was made both ways. He had his classic Spit shape with the new engines and improvements. Just shows how much different they looked even in real life.
One other fact, it claimed the first me262 jet kill in October 1944.

Good Luck
Paul