RCU Forums - View Single Post - New CMP 50-sized Corsair
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP 50-sized Corsair

My poor plane, got it fixed up and flew it again yesterday. First flight, great, took off nice and level, did a few turns and twist and was rock solid in the air. Made a nice left final turn and came in level with just a little power on until over the runway and it floated down to a nice touch down. Taxied back to the pits and I was proud as hell. Only thing was I needed to trim more up elevator so I made the adjustments at the clevises and set my trim on the transmitter to neutral. Next take off, the plane took off and did one of those things us warbird flyers hate to see, when it lifted off the runway, it was completely out of control. It snapped and came down inverted over the only part of our field that is paved. What I had done was lifted off to soon without sufficient airspeed. On the first flight, I had to feed a little more up elevator in when I lifted off and on the second flight, I did the same thing but forgot I had made those adjustments so I ended up feeding more then what was neccessary. Damage,,, the top of the cowl was dented in but not broke and the top of the rudder was broke. The extra fiberglass I put in the cowl saved it. Only part not saved was the dummy engine. I just ordered a new one from Tower so it will be able to fly later this week.
Lesson learned,,,,,,,get that airspeed up before lifting off and also, this Corsair will stall if you don't have your airspeed up on take off and landings.
Larry