RCU Forums - View Single Post - New CMP 50-sized Corsair
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP 50-sized Corsair

I'm using 3 1/4 wheels, not the ones I got with the kit. And yes, I fly off a grass field even though we have a paved runway off to one side of our field. The paved runway only goes east/west so when the wind comes from another direction, have to use grass. That's another reason I did not go with retracts, would have to really enlarge the wheel openings and with the gear I'm using, I have my axles even with the leading edge, so no noseovers.
On my very first takeoff, the nose darn near dug into the dirt even while feeding up elevator so I cut back the throttle and came back to try again, this time on high rate. If I have had the wheels where they are suppose to be, I would have easily nosed over. Anyway, on the second try, the nose again started to go down but I kept feeding up elevator and the plane lifted off very nice. What got me into trouble this last time was I didn't let the airspeed increase before feeding in up elevator. I had changed the trim settings. I should have kept the plane level until the airspeed increased. Wish I could tell you when you know the airspeed is right to lift, but I can't. Only thing I can tell you is in no way try to horse the plane up, it takes very little elevator to get it to lift. Also the tail will raise almost as soon as it starts to roll, just let it roll a little further and I'm sure it will lift with just a hair of up elevator, or maybe even none if your trim is off.
Have to replace the motor mount also, this one cracked.
Larry