RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS or Magnum Carb.......
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 01:50 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS or Magnum Carb.......

I've been in the hobby over 50 years and NEVER heard of the guy. I was also hobby shack's engine repair guy at the san Diego store for 6 years which kind of makes me a engine "guru". At least they paid me to repair engines which makes me a professional.

I would say that Clarence Lee was a bit more than just a "writer". He was an engine designer (Veco 61, K&B40. Veco 19) and still sells his K&B61 engines through Model Aviation. He was one of the many that recommended replacing the super tigre carb with an OS.

George Aldrich was more than just a writer as was Peter Chinn, Dave Gierke, Harry Higley, and several others whose name doesn't come to mind right now.

Being an engineer doesn't make one an expert on model engines. There are chemical engineers, civil engineers, marine engineers, aeronautical engineers etc. I have several friends who are engineers and work at Boeing and have no clue about making a model airplane engine work and they are areonautical engineers. They have me, the geologist, make their engines work.

By the way, I have NEVER owned a ARF or RTF airplane. Also many guys like to fly not screw around with engines that are a pain to set and use. Does that make them less than someone that can or will screw around with balky engines? I think not.

Old fart?? I'll be 60 next year and have no problem with modern ideas and technology.