RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

ron here is your answer about gloss color. gloss in general has a larger resin content which when applied forms a coating over the pigment usually making darker colors deeper and obviously more shiny.if you over thin these products you will begin to dull the finish no matter what the type of paint you use.flat has the pigment suspended closer to the surface and has a slight texture to the surface thats why you need to sand glossy paint more than flat for recoating.
automotive paint has a much harder finish but the hardness and durability depends on the quality of the substrate/surface a overly flexible surface will crack the paint over time. latex is a more flexible product by far.
C.J. it was me who posted about the Benjamin Moore paint on Richards thread . pertaining to the value of computer color matching and accuracy, most machines are aprox.70/90% of the swatch being matched . I know this because as besides being trained by Benjamin Moore paints inc.to use a color computer and working in a paint store for over 3 years I have been a contractor for over a decade . I would recommend when matching paint chips that you request a "eye" match. after using the color matching machine the paint is tweaked for the most accurate match possible. as for brands well thats a personal decision of course and the H.D. paint works as well as any, the Beahr brand BTW has a high poly content product, polyurethane that is, and is a smooth material a little plastic like for me. I personally don't use it as I have had poor color matching results over time and my clients prefer B.M. as do I for work. the durability is directly related to the pigment quality and of the material grind of the brand you use the more costly products grind there raw materials to a finer consistancy. cheap products fade faster and don't last as long of course, especially the darker ones.
as for fisheye there are fisheye bans for water based products, weather or not they are effective or not on paint? I do know they work on WB lacquer.I try to do light coats and build up color and havn't had any problems heavy coats often produce fisheye.
most dont think about interior or exterior paint , but interior is actually harder and sands better than EXT.most have more resin and clays which makes it sand well. exterior has to flex with the wheather and tends to be more gummy to sand. alot of ext. paint, not all, has water soluble oils for flexability and durability which can be a pain when spraying and may contribute to fisheye .