RCU Forums - View Single Post - New design from the makers of ABBRA - the Leviosa!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
f3a05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New design from the makers of ABBRA - the Leviosa!

If they are so cheap to produce....why are they so expensive to buy?
It's improving though-----Angel's Shadow--about the first----£2000+---beautifully made,but occasional structural issues....
Impact----less well made,in detail.(no comment on structural issues!)£6-700,
Astral(Extreme comp. version)...well made,but Naruke design, so again £2000+...
Other Far Eastern Composites....eg Otop....£6--800----competently made,but a bit rough in detail,and a bit dated IMO.
Eastern Europe composites eg Rhapsody,Cocaine, Abbra, Leviosa....all very nicely made,and obviously by a modeller with long experience and high standards--all very good value at around £650-750,but needing quite a bit of owner build input(firewall fabrication,fuselage formers ,trays &c.) at the "from the agent" price(but the factory can do it for you,at increased price,I believe).

Re. the wings versus foam-balsa----the composite ones,although not quite as light as good foam-balsas, are near enough IMO ,in that they don't have inertia issues (stopping snaps,spins for example), are certainly strong enough, and being painted is a big maintenance plus vis-a vis keeping filmed wings tidy.
And, with one exception, the moulds they come from make them more likely to be straight and consistent set-to-set than the others.
One thing I dislike personally is the top hinging---centre hinging has less trimming implications,in my experience.
Just one opinion.