RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
e-sailpilot86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis

Few people are ready for a heli... very few. And to sort things out, no, heli's cannot carry more payload than an airplane. However, I'm thinking you may want to reconsider whether you want to get a hobby grade model since it seems your interest related to the hobby has little to do with the hobby itself. But, if you are genuinely interested in the hobby, go with either a small electric model and before you even buy, scope out flying fields where you will have frequency control. If you dont have one, I really, really, really recommend (I'd require if I could) that you get a Spektrum DX6 Tx/Rx. If you're new and haven't looked hard into nearby flying fields, you could be causing someone to crash their model, and there's no telling what value it is.

Do these:
-Go to the local hobby shop, discuss flying fields and models with him/her.
-Join a local club to get help on deciding your priorities with the hobby.
-Use the club resources to get you flying, I generally prefer it when people are trained for the first time by model pilots
Think about whether your desires with the hobby are appropriate:
"and have a (small) chance to chase away pesky birds "
"They usually can carry more payload than than planes (you don't wanna know what I'm thinking about ) "

A high speed model is not something you're going to be able to appreciate for quite a while. You're going to have to get the thrill by watching others fly. I've never had problems with "pesky birds" and I've never desired to carry a payload for things other than aerial photography. If you're going to be chasing birds and carry a device for something inappropriate, this hobby is not for you.

I recommend for some first models the
Slow Stick
Slow-V (eh...)
Easy Star
Easy glider
Gentle Lady
or a .40 sized trainer if and only if you have flying field access. Hobbico makes an excellent one, but you must have help from an experienced pilot. Otherwise, you'll be getting yourself into trouble, be it with the saftey of others, or the parks department.