RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sheeting foam cores
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 04:06 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sheeting foam cores

I can't imagine trusting a wing, or plane for that matter to 3M double sided tape.

I just repaired a foam wing on a G&P Sales P38 that was sheeted with 3M #77. The adhesive softened and attacked the foam under the sheeting. I pulled the sheeting off the foam, and it came off real easy. The foam core underneath was so damaged that I could not use it and had to cut another core. I sheeted the new core with Gorilla glue (polyurethane). This was my first experience using this glue to sheet wings. All I can say is WOW, this stuff is perfect for sheeting. It grabs like nothing I have ever used to sheet wings with, and that includes 3M #77, Sorghum, and Epoxy.

Yes, it's messier than contact spray adhesive, but no more than epoxy. Epoxy cannot match the holding power of this stuff. I misted the back side of the skin with water, then spread a thin film of Gorilla glue on the core. Laid the skin on the core and weighted it down. Went back an hour later and a small amount had foamed out the leading edge, trailing edge, and tip. On the tip I can see where the glue migrated about 1/32" to 1/8" into the foam as it expanded. When cured it sands easier than epoxy and flares nicely in to the balsa. The grip is tenacious, far better than anything I have used. I will never go back to contact adhesive, or epoxy.

Epoxy is still a viable alternative IMO, but it can't compare with Gorilla glue for grip, or price.

Vince