RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Cappy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

I totally agree, the coupling is not linear, so it depends on your speed and angle of attack during this. The only way to somewhat rectify this is to program a multipoint mix....for me, thats too much trouble. I prefer to "feel" the plane during this maneuver and lean slightly on the sticks ever so gently to make corrections. I also like to enter these from what I call a "death slide" ( not sure if that's really what it's called). Basically I start climbing to moderate altittude and set up almost like a stall turn. But instead of staying on the rudder until the nose is pointed back to earth, I give full opposite rudder, a bit of elevator initially to get the plane pointed straight back at me in a knife edge attitude, and start slightly easing on the throttle...but not too much. I want the plane to basically do what looks like a knife-edge elevator. Now, as the plane gets closer to the ground (this is the part that takes some nerve) I start really leaning on the throttle with the rudder still burried just long enough for the plane to stop losing altittude. Once this happens I start easing back off it to maintain a hight alpha KE at a constant altittide across the field. The transition from falling to level flight is where throttle mangement is key. I've almost lost my plane more times doing this than any other maneuver......but it sure looks cool.

Here are 2 vids.....The first one was from November. A bunch of HA knife-edges,etc. At that time I had a smoke system and ALOT of dead weight on the plane.
The second was from 6/4/2006. I thought I would share them with you....but be gentle, this is only my second full season since getting into this awesome hobby. [sm=RAINFRO.gif]

Cap

[link=http://www3.rapidupload.com/file.php?filepath=3224]Video 1[/link] (32 Megs-fast)
[link=http://b06.bestsharing.com/ms00173792/TM10JNMW/ZjiqvMyjOtubZh8j2S48o8LeD7L9qfc/Edge_Vid.wmv]Video 2[/link] (83 megs-fast)