RCU Forums - View Single Post - DECATHLON crash and BURNED
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:31 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DECATHLON crash and BURNED

ORIGINAL: av8rdavid

Hey Guys,

Yeah, the fire was glorious, but everything from the leading edge of the wing foward was detached and just hanging by monocote....Fixing it would have added yet more weight and the possibility of having a dangerous flying decathlon....I opted to write it off and yes i did save the wing and the guts cause it was in good shape....

BRUCE88123 :
You said you were from spaceland? Is that the skydiving place in houston?? Flying the otter???? I'm trying to get hooked up flying skydivers around the houston area, but its going slow...Just curious...

Aerobatic flying is too fun...The closest i've ever been to aerobatic flight was spin training for my CFI....We did it in a 172 where we nearly went into a spiral peging the airspeed to redline before pulling out of it...Scary but fun as hell to do! Some day i'll have the funds to get some real aerobatics done...
Yeah, I flew at the old Houston Gulf airport (SPX) (now closed) for many years. There is a new place in Rosharon that's calling itself Spaceland but it isn't the original. Flew the Cessna jump planes and then the Otter for several years. Flew as co-pilot for a couple of years before switching to Captain and then got @1500 hrs there. Left Houston area in @ 1986. Don't have any contacts to help you down there any more. Just start flying, get some hrs logged, get commercial SEL and go to one of the Drop Zones. Maybe even get involved with the skydiving, I did that for many years before I started flying and have made @2000 jumps also. It takes time, time and a little more time to get where you want to in life. Ask Debbie about having to "pay your dues" to get anywhere in aviation. But remember that it can be done. BTW - back when I rented her Pitts ( an S-2A) it was only $100/hr so you can see where the costs have gone.

I see you've changed your address to Spring. Yeah, there's a club out your way too but I'm not sure exactly where. It formed after I left. There are some of my old friends still jumping/flying there I understand.