RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is 5 old enough to start training?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is 5 old enough to start training?

I know you posted your question to the Instructors which I am not. I am going to toss my 2 cents worth in anyway. I don't think there is a set age. I think we as individuals all develop at our own pace. While 5 yrs of age is extremely young, I don't think it is necessarily too young. I think kids in general these days are progressing much more rapidly than my generation did at that age. I mean when I was in kindergarten we were playing a little, having cookies & milk, then nap time. Todays kindergarten classes are reading! I think it all boils down to the individual child. If the interest & attention span is there than I say yes. I think she can do it. I do think it will take a very special Instructor that knows how to communicate well with a child that young.

I too am planning on teaching my Grand-Daughter Elena to fly at a very early age. I sit back & watch her problem solving skills in total amazement. At 20 months old she can tell you the name of every one of her Grumpy's airplanes & is now starting to learn the names of the different parts of the planes. She enjoys nothing more than to sit with me as I work on them with her little eyes glued on my every move. The amazing part to me is that she will do it for hours, not just a few minutes then off to something else. She appears to be genuinely interested, maybe even fascinated. Unless her interest changes dramtically in the next 3 yrs I plan to give her a try on the buddy box if she still wants to, & the magic number that I decided on is 5 yrs old too. Right now she gets a great deal of pleasure from sitting on my lap & playing with the sim. I think as soon as she has developed enough to learn the difference in the controls & the effects that each one has on the airplane, then she too will be ready to learn to fly. I think she will be able to understand these things by her 5th birthday. ( I hope so )

Now I know we all like to think that our kid or Grand-kid is the "special one" & they are special to us no matter what, but I do believe there are certain kids that are far beyond their age groups. If your Daughter happens to be one of those, & it sounds like she just might be, then I see no reason not to give her a chance if that is what she truely wants.

The worst thing that can happen if done correctly & safely with a qualified Instructor is to find out that she isn't as interested as you thought. No harm, no foul. I say go for it. Give her a chance.