RCU Forums - View Single Post - 400 feet? In heaven's name how???
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 400 feet? In heaven's name how???

We had this very thing happen at our field which is less than 3 miles away from the airport .a full size came over with a model in the air IMO they was both at fault The model looked to me to be over the 400 feet limit ,but the full size was well below the 800 foot limit .I could have counted the rivets on the full size ,so I dare say he was to low .Anyway he made a stink and called the tower about the RC plane and guess what ,The head chief came over and warned us about it ,and when he was approached about the fact the full scale was under the 800 feet limit and also in the wrong flight path to land that didn't matter .Full scale always have the right of way ,Which I already knew .So all I can say when a full scale is in the area keep um low or land if ya like your field ,because it won't take many complaints and a person will be looking for a new flying site .
Nobody wants any sort of a incident we have enough on our plate right now just to keep the privilege to fly our precious models .

Heres a half baked way of telling how high your plane is ,most club members know what the length of there runway is, ours is 450 feet long .If you don't know you can walk it off,134 steps @ 3 foot each will get you close enough.Taxi your plane to that point and look it over good ,notice the color difference, can you still see the vivid colors of the plane or does it go black ,if the latter bring the plane back to where you can see the colors , some see some colors better than others ,but see where your at on the runway .Yes I know different colors will make different yardages as well as aircraft size,but its something that may save your field if you stick with it .

All in all its a pain in the fanny but if I want to continue to fly where I am flying at I have to try to obey the 400 foot celling as best as I can .I know I don't always do it but I make a honest effort to try .
Good luck and happy landings to all.