RCU Forums - View Single Post - ASM DH-88 Comet
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
NavySNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM DH-88 Comet

Hi.

I am glad you posted pics and your comments on the ASM DH-88. I saw it in the August 06 Model Airplane News and was seriously considering getting one since the magazine talked so highly of it. I miss that MAP no longer posts "Hits" and "Misses" comments in their reviews so I am glad you did. When I asked my local dealer he said he sold one but when the pilot took off his rolled just after take off and crashed. He didn't give me any other details. Considering its price tag I wanted to learn some more about it first.

I was going to use some Supertigre .51s or try Saito .72s. I have the ST engines if I chose to use them but would have to purchase the Saitos. The MAP article used Magnum .52s with 11x6s and said that was ample power with its flight test weight at 11.9 lb. I don't have experience with the Magnum 4 strokes but my biggest concern would be that if an engine did quit I would want to make sure that the one engine left would have enough power to keep it flying. Since their largest rated 2 stroke is a .40 I'd guess you would be borderline with such a small engine in an engine out situation, especially if it was a little windy.