RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Best Simulator To Me Is:
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Cub_Boy
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Best Simulator To Me Is:

I agree that FlightSim 2002 is a great program, however it really does nothing for the R/C pilot. There is a huge difference between sitting in a plane (left is left and right is right always) and controlling the plane from a fix point on the ground.

The perspective issues are what we use a simulator for and to practice manuvers. Where I see the R/C pilots can get benefits from other flight simulators is in the area of throttle management, controlling decent rates and understanding aerodynamics.

Beyond that, those programs do not help us to fly better or learn the skills necessary to be an accomplished R/C Airplane pilot.

Being the President of an R/C club for several years now, I have seen newbies come out and profess their skills on FS 200X and other such programs. They think they can fly R/C because of that experience. They soon discover that they are not really prepaired and must learn new disciplines. Those that have used RealFlight or similar programs (where they have a R/C radio in their hands and learn the skills need) seem to learn and solo much quicker overall.

So you can take this as either "passing on knowledge through experince" or you can say "Blow it out of your tail pipe" either way you will learn your own truth in your own way and that will be the sum of your knowledge at that time.

Have a Happy New Year!!!

Rick,