RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Hi Abufletcher - thanks for the support. Not so much skill - just time! This is my first project of this magnitude (although I've been building standoff scale for a long time), so I think I'm spending a lot of time figuring out how to model the details. Here's a few more pictures of the Proctor Mercedes engine kit coming along. The major parts are not assembled yet; just put together to check fit. I decided to cut the rockers free and pin them, so when I make the valves and springs, I can set the rockers to the correct relative position. It just occurred to me it would be really cool to devise a way to have them move when the engine is running (e.g., with a small electric motor). Maybe on the next project! I added hose clamps on the water lines between the jackets, and have been spending a bit of time on all the access doors. Nelson hinges have come in useful here. This plane is my first experiment with an air brush. I could use more practice but the results so far are acceptable.

I'll need to start considering the engine seriously pretty soon - before I start the wings. Mainly, the fuselage is really tail heavy. I want to finish the tail planes and running rigging, then get a scale and figure out what it will take to balance, and seriously estimate where I'm going to end up on weight. Do you have any idea what weight the Proctor Albatros' are flying at? The whole front end is pretty accessible with the cowlings off, so installing supports in the shell shouldn't be to tough. I have room for the tank and probably the battery all up there under the fake engine. If necessary, I can open the bottom and invert the engine.

Do you think this thread would be of more interest to folks on a scale oriented site?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96798.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	492454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68440.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	492455