RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

service dude,
As long as you don't crash, you have a better hook up. The rubber band set up does have it's weakness. And in a way it's designed to be weak, so the wing can move in a not so perfect landing. In your set up the same landing is going to tear up the wing and the fuselage.

And as long as I'm on a roll, Rubber Bands 101: They are destroyed by exposure to the UV rays of the sun, check them often as they weaken quickly, this can cause a not so secure fit, which will play havoc with how she flies. Spares should be stored in a brown paper bag to prevent the sun from getting to them. Also try and keep them somewhere cool, as heat can actually fuze them together. Use one set for flying, and use just 2 bands for storing, you only need enough strength to keep the wing from flopping around. Some also suggest storing spare bands mixed in with talcum or baby powder to help extend their life. Never tried that one so I can't say yea or nay on it.

Lastly, on Dihedral, or the "V" shape the wing has, view'd from the front/back.
This is a self centering feature, helps keep the Cub flying straight. Simple explanation as to how it works, the dihedral allows air to spill out from the wing tips, less lift vs further in on the wing. This keeps the fuselage centered between the wing tips in flight, kinda like a pendulum. Helps when you are first learning to fly. BUT it will fight you when you try any type of acrobatics, as the wing will be trying to right the bird as you are trying something like a roll.
If you install ailerons, all you will see is a crabbing or yawl condition, it will barely bank.
You need to reposition the straps on the fuselage to pull the dihedral out of the wing, then you will see the ailerons do their stuff.