RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM
STO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

I have been having some power issues with my PZ J3 Cub. Figured that since I had changed out the motor not that long ago maybe the problem was my batteries weren't getting a proper charge since I have been using the stock HZ Peak Charger. So I ponyed up the cash and bought the Hobbico MK II.

Bought a new gearbox to replace the one I toasted on the weekend, charged up my batteries and went to the local soccer field to give a test go. Same problem. Won't gain altitude, quite underpowered. So I thought maybe I need to completely discahrge my Nimh packs (600mih) and then recharge fully to get a good full charge. Put a pack in the plane to run it down.

After a few minutes the gear makes a funny sound like it's become disengaged from the motor pinion. I shut it all down and dissassemble the cowl etc and the motor had gotten so hot it had melted the new gearbox so that the motor was canted to the left and thus away from the gear.

This is a stock motor on a stock battery no hop ups. Should the motor get that hot?

Do brushless motors get that hot?

The motor has less than 4 flights of maybe 8 - 10 minutes each on it...what would make it get so hot as to melt the box?

Even running the second pack on the motor with no prop at half throttle the motor gets too hot to even touch...must be something wrong with the motor?