RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Extreme 330
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg <span class=

Guys
I'm finishing up an Extreme 330 and am thinking that it would be good if the one-piece wing was detachable from the fuse for those future repairs. I'm looking at making a couple 3/32" plywood plates which would be scribed into and fastened to the fuse saddle. The plates would be about 3 inches square mounted above and below the wing spars and project to form triangular tabs. A flat head wood screw would fasten the tabs to the spars. Spars would be doubled up under the plates. A small vertical plate would be run between the ailerons at the trailing edge to keep the wing square. All this is easy to do but am a little concerned about the flex that occurs all along the wing/fuse joint. The fit is perfect but there is approximately 1/2" total up and down play at the wingtip. The tabs should take about half of this out.

To remove the wing, one aileron would have to be removed and I was thinking of using Robart knuckle hinges which could either be popped or cut off.

Have any of you profile builders tried this with a one-piece wing? Think this is worth the effort? I estimate this mod will add about 1/2 oz. added weight @ the CG. Anyone think the small bit of play at the fuse joint is an issue? As an alternative: does anyone know of a glue which could be dissolved or melted at the wing/fuse joint? As a worst case, I can always epoxy it all together if it doesn't work out.
All comments welcome.

Blue Skies, Green Lights!