RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Diesel Engines?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/2A Diesel Engines?

A small caveat on diesel conversions. From observation and personal experience a lot of failures with conversions stem from running lean and overcompressed. I think this can be attributed to modelers with lots of glow experience tuning a converted engine with all their notions based on glow performance -- ie high compression and high rpms are good.

If a modeler new to diesels and runnning a conversion can concentrate on running a bit undercompressed and a bit on the rich side after starting a lot of conversion failures can be avoided. Using a prop that is 1 or 2 inches greater in diameter than the recommended size for glow is a good place to start, since it keeps the rpms down. Diesels are happy with a big prop, lower rpms, and slightly undercompressed and rich settings. Think about running a Cox .020 conversion with a wooden 6x3. An .049 conversion with an 7x4. An .09 conversion with a 9x3.

Diesels are weirdly different until you get to love them.

Now, back to the bench for me -- I'm in series production of HLGs for some of the kids in the neighborhood. Our own Flugtag without the Redbull and vodka.