RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Diesel Engines?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Diesel Engines?

About this conversion business. Had an interesting experience this evening. I took out my .074 powered Mini-Sport to test various turbo button designs on glow. At the field I swapped out the 8 X 4 prop for a 7 X 4. I took off the diesel head and installed one of the turbo buttons. Then I filled up the tank, primed into the intake and lit it off with the starter. Heres' the rub. I didn't have to change the high speed OR the low speed mixture. With the switch from diesel to glow, the engine never missed a beat. I DID tweak both needles in and out just to be sure and sure enough, the glow setting was exactly the same as the diesel setting. The glow fuel was 25% Cool Power and the diesel fuel was 40/40/20 with Amsoil cetane booster.

This brings to mind that I did a diesel to glow conversion on a Mills for Tom Anderson nearly ten years ago. This was after I installed an adjustable airbleed throttle, I THINK it was a from Wasp .06. Anyway, that engine ran so sweet, started sooo easily and throttled beautifully as a glow engine. I used a Cox glow head for the conversion and the compression ratio was guessed at. Using the same prop, I believe I got the same top end, on 25% Sig all castor. Sacrilege, I know but I DO have that PAW sitting in the corner that's now got me thinking. What with the ruggedness of diesel engines, a glow conversion would likely last till Armageddon.