RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Diesel Engines?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 07:23 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Diesel Engines?

Issues with 1/2A diesel conversions for me has been fuel tubing, especially in the tank for the clunk. Stock neoprene tubing is too stiff for the clunk in small tanks. In many cases, this is not a big deal, diesels seem to be able to run on fumes and if you go gear to the sky for a bit, no harm done, the engine might burp and just keep running. However, one of the deals with running diesel is to NOT let too much fuel get into the engine when starting, hydraulic lock and all.

Sucking fuel up the line while choking is the way but how on earth can you tell when the fuel is up to the carb and no more than that?

I wish I could remember/find the individual who gave us this tip but he tipped us off to the fact that the SILICONE tubing from Texas Timers resists diesel fuel amazingly well.

So, I just had to try it, got some and did a soak test for three days. The jar was not dead nuts airtight and all of the ether is now gone but aside from a very small amount of swelling, the tubing did well. In fact, after sitting on the bench overnight, the swelling is gone and the tubing looks new.

The soaked tubing has a faint, pink tint to it from the Klotz castor I use.

This is great news, now I can plumb tanks for my TD .010 and .020 and do diesel conversions for them. Yeah, I know I'll break cranks but I WANT to.

The tubing that TT has, even the large is a BIT small for 1/2A but I think it'll do. The ID is correct the only issue is to take more care not to kink the lines. Otherwise, IDEAL for clunks in small tanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37500.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	495079