RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Jpal:

With the amount of fuel you say I’ll guess the engine has about an hour total time. It could be that you’re expecting too much too soon. On the other hand, if your 9000 rpm is at a setting richened from at least 9300 rpm peaked, then don’t worry too much about the smoke trail.

The engine temperature is of concern. I’m not familiar with your “Swallow” airplane, I’d probably fly it without the engine cowl on it and see if it still seems to run hot. If it’s fine with the cowling off the cooling air outlet is most likely where your problem will be found – it needs to be larger.

reimorei:

You may well have fallen victim to one of the strange characteristics of the Saito four stroke engines. They do not have any compression when the throttle is closed. The throttle seal is usually so good that the cylinder can’t breathe, and without taking any air in after the exhaust stroke they have nothing to compress. Open the throttle and try again.

Further, I’ve never been able to get a Saito to start easily the first time of the day unless I have the throttle at least ¼ open and a really sloppy prime. Later starts on the same day only need high trim on the throttle. Once I run the engine dry at the end of the flying session and douse it with the after run oil it’s ¼ throttle and a sloppy prime again.

New members:
340 JPal101
341 reimorei

Getting crowded here. Shall we form our own political party?

Haw.

Bill.