RCU Forums - View Single Post - Setting up an OS 1.60, cline, bisson pitts, 18x6w (finally solved)
Old 07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting up an OS 1.60, cline, bisson pitts, 18x6w

I couldn't get a decent video and I'm almost out of fuel, so I need to save what little I have left for flying my other planes today.

Anyway, here is where I'm at. I have decent transition with a hesitation at 7000 - 8000. If I go any leaner on the main needle the top end is way to lean, and if I go any leaner on the bottom end then it doesn't want to idle right. At this point thnks I have a mid range rich condition which as far as I know is a common problem with regulators. I don't hear any pinging and the engine makes all kinds of smoke at this rpm range so I'm not thinking it's a timing issue.

I'm willing to try other props, but I'm told the apc 18x6w and the menz 18x6 work best for 3d applications. In other birds I fly I use the apc W prop because I like the torque of the lower pitch, longer props. I think I may order a APC 18x8W and a menz 18x8, but I think a 16x10 is way faster than I want to go.

I'm up on getting a better tank, no problems there, the one way valve for cline seems to work fine, pleny of pressure, so why do I want a different one? Will it fail? The engine has at least 10 tanks though it before it has seen the regulator and ran fine last I had it on the bench, so I think I'm good there. The pitts muffler isn't the best, but I did cut it and it seems much better. The part I don't understand is the plug and shim recommendation. The shims reduce the compression ratio which effectivly reduces ignition timing, but then you put in a hot plug to get the timing back, the end result is lower compression. Any thoughts on why this works? Perhaps I should just use 10% nitro instead.

Thanks for all the help,
schu