RCU Forums - View Single Post - MPI clutch springs
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM
jguitarsandcars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPI clutch springs

OK, so I've been having a hard time finding Traxxas Clutch springs without buying the whole slice with the useless shoes. When I broke my first clutchspring, I ended up buying HOTBODIES that the LHS told me "should work" when I asked for the Traxxas ones he didn't have. They were much thicker, a little longer, and much much stiffer than the stock one...It fit alright, but stuck out of the grove and rubbed the clutchbell (or danged close to it) where the shoe pins are, and the thing never ran right after that (very sluggish like it was fighting something). When I placed my last order of parts through TST and Tower of stuff I wanted in 1 shot, I ended up getting the MPI springs through Tower as once again, I could not find just the Traxxas springs. Now that we have some long winded background, here's my actual ??? The MPI's appear to be a better fit, they're the same diameter as the stock ones, a little longer, and a little stiffer, but nowhere near as stiff as the HOTBODIES, however there are no loops and hooks on the ends. All they are is a a length of spring stock that was stretched enough to cut it to length. From trying to rebend my stock one, and my background, I know spring steel is not easy to bend, and becomes brittle...Has anyone else used these MPI clutch springs??? How are you supposed to keep them hooked together???