RCU Forums - View Single Post - MPI clutch springs
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Team Knowitall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPI clutch springs

ORIGINAL: {GBI}Harryball

Hey Eric, i understand you telling him not to cut the springs, my question to you is--- there has to be a specific amount of tension on the spring, with a longer spring less tension will be applied will it not? My suggestion to have him cut the spring was to get it as close to the stock performance as possible. Am i wrong in this thinking?
You may be right, because the aluminum shoes are heavier than the T-maxx composite clutch. However, since the T-maxx spring works well on the stock clutch (I've noticed it engages later than the stocker, too) I'm making an educated guess as to the MIP springs working properly. I haven't tried the MIP's, but I know the Traxxas springs work fine, and yes you are correct in theory (and I can't tell you that you're wrong in practice either, because you may be spot on), but the other contributing factor to later or earlier engagement will also be spring tension.

theoretically, too, the longer MIP spring may actually help the higher "stall speed" of the stock Traxxas clutch so maybe it'll cancel out?

hopefully J can help us out by being the Guinea Pig

J...were the Hot Bodies springs for one of their own nitro cars or for the T-maxx or what? if they were for one of the Hot Bodies 1/10 cars I could see them being too long, because I'm sure that the clutch is probably at least VERY similar to the one they sell as an option for HPI's 1/10 nitro cars, which is a bit bigger in diameter than the T-maxx/RC10GT MIP clutch and IIRC a bit heavier too.