RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the Cedar Hobbies Pheonix
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 04:23 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Cedar Hobbies Pheonix

Engine and nacelle build up.
Half the blind nuts for the supplied engine mounts are already installed with the other two supplied in the hardware kit. The second set of mounting holes are slotted to allow the engine mount to move wider for larger engines. Engines..Yes, I could have built it with the usual fire breathing monsters..and I have two lonely ST 90's that were looking for a good home..Nope, let's see if we can build and fly cheap and light. Instead of exploring the UPPER flight limits, how about the lower end. Ok, Two very worn ST 45's, dual outlet mufflers..Hey, it is a twin..so dual's on the exhaust!!, Master Airscrew 12x4 props, 15% synthetic fuel.
I mounted the engines as FAR forward as possible due to light weight.
The supplied fuel tank is around 7oz..a bit light for larger engines. Off to the local hobby store with a handfull of measurements. The Graupner 14oz number 236 and it fit just fine..Note, Look at the inside of the neck on these tanks..One of mine had a hole in the neck and really made a mess inside the nacelle and made me really say bad things.!!!!!
I would coat the firewall with thinned epoxy for fuel proofing..Thinned with alcohol.
Attach the engine mounts with locktite and mount the engines are normal.
The throttle servo is a mini and mounted sideways in a mounting slot a bit wider than I would be happy with, so I shimmed it up tighter to prevent flexing. Probably not a problem on and throttle servo, but it makes me sleep better at night. I used the included push rod and keeper for the throttle controls, but you will need to make a z bend to clear the tanks. Sure hope you remembered to thread the opening for the servo wiring through the nacelle and out the wing!! Remember that small hole I told you to cut under the nacelle..for the wiring?? If not, a small nut on a string will work just fine to thread it now....Ok Ok..fumble fingers pulled out one string..more bad words..this is supposed to be fun!!!!
The fuel tank bays are covered with hatches and bolted to the area around the firewall. I predrilled a pilot hole, threaded in the mounting screws, removed the screws and hardened the thread area with thin CA.
Twinman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22883.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	506513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64236.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	506514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93459.jpg
Views:	11