RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chat Room on RCU
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh PUHLEASE

Look. .we do NOT need ANOTHER chat room. . . .

There are chat rooms al over IRC dedicated to everything from discrete item supporters (Such as radio and engine manufacturers) to different facets of the hobby (Helos, planes, IMAC, trucks and cars, etc.) to jsut flying and playing with RC.

The day RCU starts a "Chat' room, is the day RCU starts down the SAME path as RCOnline. . which ultimately folded under the weight of it's own problems, a lot of which were associated with Chat rooms.

I think the RCU administration and moderators are VERY wise NOT to open this Pandora's box of problems, and stick to strictly bulletin-board type postings. Sooner or later, no matter what you do, you will wind up with some people in the Chat that need to be banned from it, because of their BAD behaviour. . then they complain, and ***** and start talking to their friends. . .and NO MATTER what you do it will be a problem.

Worst part about it. . . . . the segment of the RC hobby that will cause the most problems is the very segment we need to encourage the most. . those below 20 years of age. If we stick to a strict bulletin-board type of postings, then not only will the younger members learn things, they will develop age-bridging social skills that will do a lot to help them later on.

This is one minefield that RCU has wisely avoided. I hope it continues to do so.