RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chat Room on RCU
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM
southerngent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chat For RCU

This was indeed tried in the early stages of RCU's development.
But turned into a fiasco of site annamosity and inuendo's.
IRC Chat can be used for a lot of good and also be used in a detrimental fashion. It seems to promote some new friendships and Ideals of thinking. But as anything to do with dealing with large numbers of the public.... Not everyone will be happy with it.
On the moderation side of things .... you walk an extremely thin line on choices of what you percieve the topics of the room to be.
The constant bashing of products and members tend to be bias towards their product of choice to the point of becomeing hostal. Political issues ..... and everything you can imagine are discussed in chat rooms. This being said, A Chat moderator does his best to lead the illfated conversations to another direction but in the same turn cannot censure someones point of veiw.
I have been operating a chat room for a couple years now and I do agree with Marc here in that a dedicated RCU Chat would only serve to create problems and unrest between it's users.

For those of you who would like to participate in chat there are some well established rooms already available.
I'm apprehensive to post them for you as the management here might not find them appropiate.... if Marc says its ok to post them I would be glad to provide the info.

Southerngent