RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Hi Alan - thanks again for the support - true test will be if it flies!
I made the strut fittings, control horns and rigging anchors using tin snips, files, brass, fiberglass, aluminum and solder. Attached are some rough sketches. I tried to get them as close as I could to the illustrations in the Pfalz datafile. Quick comment on the ball end; After some experimentation (destructive testing) I got the max load up to 40 lbs (each). I was hoping for more like 60lb, but feel with eight of them holding the wing plus all the wires, 40 lb is adequate. The failure mode is the bolt head would punch cleanly through the aluminum ball. It helped a lot to break the edge on the bottom of the bolt head to distribute the load as much as possible. Of course this is all just one approach. I considered casting and machining. I'd like to hear of other ways folks have done this. I also have gotten quite good at splicing the cables using standard 3-strand eye splicing method. A magnifying head piece is useful for my 'ol eyes in all of this! I'll post some pics of the fittings soon.

The engine is Proctor kit. Guns are Arizona Modeler kit. The green hue on the guns is deliberate, after looking at photos on the web and talking to gun owners I learned the cooling jacket is copper-based (brass or bronze?). I've picked the Hohn paint scheme with spiral red ribbons and stripes over silver. The only hitch is Hohn's DIII.a had the club-end style strut fittings whereas mine are tapered. I'm just not up to changing them now (maybe later).

Surprisingly I still haven't picked an engine. I would like to finish most of the work on the fuse and check the weight and balance and make a decision on power plant. If I can't find one that fits inside the area of the mercedes, I'll pop it out the bottom like Dan Schmidts. I'm a bit concerned about cooling (although the vents are real). I know Tom P. had a very clever cooling vent that opened in the front cowl - an interesting way to bring more air in.

NOTE - These sketches are HIGHER RESOLUTION than original post. I've also discovered downloading file results in more readable image than clicking here (using RCU viewer). SH

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23526.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	508076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29987.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	508077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77682.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.6 KB