RCU Forums - View Single Post - New scratch builder
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New scratch builder

RVM,

You may find the Hostetler plans a bit much, as Wendell tends to do things for the more experienced builders. However, you do have decent kit building experience and the right attitude (it MUST be perfect and light). Mostly, its the willingness to dive in and get dirty that is needed, and you have that already. As mentioned in here, it helps to cut your own "kit" of parts on a scratch building project like this, then build it as you would any other kit. You are at least building a monoplane, which is inherently simpler than a bipe. For shaping pieces, especially sheet pieces like ribs and formers, a disc sander is an invaluable tool. It leaves perfectly true, square edges that greatly ease the problems of achieving good fit and finish. Also, I would say a scroll saw is extremely useful. Some will say a bandsaw instead, but I found my scroll saw got so much more use that I sold the band saw. Both is best, but the scroll saw is more versatile if you only have one.

The Extra is a great design and should make an excellent project if you take it step by step and think ahead. Enjoy!

Mark