Thread: Y/a Sr-71
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Capt. Crash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Y/a Sr-71

OZZ,

I'm happy to say that your question of an SR-71 with turbines has been answered. My friend Dennis Crooks has done just that this year in 06. He put in (2) funsonic 12lb thrust engines in a Yellow Aircraft SR-71 this year. I seen him fly it at Windy City Jets this year. Outside of having a little brake drag problem, the jet flew really well & fairly FAST. I would guess in the range of 150-170 mph. I would say that was good for 12 pounders. The SR we are working on is a Ralph Salvidar all wood scratch built with 28lb PST turbines. A little big for the 1/12th scale, but I plan to use the engines in other jets after the SR has done a few shows. "I Hope"...
Yellow Aircraft no longer makes these kits. In fact, they cut the molds up per the guy at Yellow. I was looking for struts for my SR & that was the information I was given because I was asking about buying a Yellow kit to build as well. We hope to have ours in Toledo in 07. We have lots of detail going into the jet & should look fairly good on static display.
As someone else has mentioned the SR is a NOT SO FRIENDLY aircraft to fly per Dennis Crooks. He makes it look easy after all these years, but he will tell you even after as many flights as he's had on the SR-71, "It demands ALL of your attention while in the air".
Take Care

Capt. Crash.
ORIGINAL: OZZ

The yellow aircraft supply a blackbird sr-71 I'm trying to research this aircraft as a future model has anyone recently flown or built one. Any info would be grateful please. One question why is it only ducted fan and why not a turbine??. As I said any info would be appreciatted.

Duncan